Univ.-Prof. for Dramaturgy / Senate Chairman
Professional, goal-oriented and practice-related examination of social issues in connection with contemporary aesthetic and methodological approaches: In addition to the classical techniques of role acquisition, acting students at the Mozarteum University receive extensive training for film and stage at an international level.
Study & professional fields
Theater is directly affected by the great movements that swept our society in the last decade of the twentieth century. The audience's expectations of the content and forms of expression of our work, as well as the organizational and economic conditions, have changed drastically within a short period of time. This presents an apprenticeship with new, interesting tasks. It must be open, curious, diverse, but will not neglect the technical basics of the profession - an indispensable core of any training - over the new orientation.
General study information
The goal of the training is to produce actors who are open and confident in the use of their resources in the face of diverse demands. The training must enable them to respond flexibly and, above all, independently to different work contexts and aesthetic concepts. This requires that the individual creative possibilities of the students are recognized by the education and purposefully encouraged. Likewise, the willingness to take responsibility, to become proactive.
Speech feeling, vocal expression, getting to know and mastering one's own body, musical, vocal, dance and acrobatic skills are developed by teachers of technical subjects in close coordination with scenic teaching. Work on expression is understood as a comprehensive psycho-physical process. Scenic instruction focuses on fostering perceptual and sensory skills, the development of scenic imagination, and experience in interaction with partners*. The training strives to increase the ability to concentrate, to get to know one's own resilience, the ability to perceive and describe processes as well as to exercise and accept criticism.
The study program is divided into a basic and a main study. In the basic classes (1st semester), acting and directing students learn the basics of acting and improvisation together. The focus is on the fun-filled exploration and development of individual playful possibilities.
In the subsequent main study period, acting students continuously deepen the basics of speaking, vocal and physical expression in the so-called technical subjects and develop their musical, vocal, dance and acrobatic skills. This is done in close coordination with scenic classes, which teach students how to work on situation/character/role in sequential study projects specifically.
Link to semester plan (1st semester)
NOTE: The start of studies is only possible in the summer semester.
Prerequisite for the diploma study is the passed admission exam. The entrance examination for the acting major consists of the scenic presentation of at least two role excerpts, the performance of a song, various tasks from the subjects for the development of linguistic, physical and musical skills and from the subject of acting.
Four roles are to be rehearsed for the 1st round of the entrance examination:
- One of three offered, self-selected scenes of two. The role can and should be gladly chosen regardless of gender.
- Three monologues. Two of these should be from a play (classical or modern), the third should be self-written by the applicant.
- In addition, please prepare a theater song or a song (without musical accompaniment).
After the first round, applicants will be notified whether they will be admitted to the second round, which will take place on the evening of the same day.
For the 3rd round of the entrance exam, in addition to auditioning again for the roles they ve prepared, applicants will receive additional work opportunities in the area of improvisation. In the evening they will be informed whether they will reach the final round (4th round).
Tips for the entrance examination
- When choosing your monologue roles, applicants should choose characters that particularly interest them, even if they do not resemble their personal character or gender match.
- In interpreting these characters, applicants should avoid playing after models (such as in the manner of an imitation of great theater actresses), but should try to play the role with personal expression.
- Applicants should prepare themselves for an interview with the jury, commenting on their motivation and interest in wanting to study at the Mozarteum University.
At the time of application a minimum age of 17 years should be reached. Matura/Abitur is not a mandatory requirement for admission.
10 study places are allocated each year. An acting talent is expected and it is pointed out that each university requires different evaluation criteria for artistic decisions. It is recommended to apply to different colleges or universities and also to apply a second or third time to the Mozarteum University, if further experience has already been gained.
For applicants whose first language is not German, proof of German language skills must be provided.
- Unsere Prüfungsräume sind barrierefrei. Das Department hat einen Lift in die oberen Etagen und einen Treppenlift zum Untergeschoss.
- An den Prüfungstagen stehen unsere Studierenden nötigenfalls als Assistenz für Sie bereit, wenn es gewünscht wird.
- Wenn Sie Fragen betreffend der Zulassungsprüfung und das Studium haben, wenden Sie sich gerne an unser Sekretariat: +43 676 88122 445. Sie werden dann mit einer Person unseres Departments vermittelt, mit der Sie über Ihre speziellen Bedürfnisse sprechen können.
We have 10 study places to offer and are looking forward to a diverse year, also in terms of gender and origin. Applicants should be at least 17 years old at the time of application. Matura/Abitur is not a mandatory requirement for admission.
Since the language of instruction is German, a good knowledge of German (at least level B2) is required to pass the entrance exam. These are checked as part of the admission test, so it is not necessary to submit a certificate.
The Department of Drama expects an acting talent and would like to point out that each university requires different evaluation criteria for artistic decisions. You are therefore welcome to try it at different universities and also like to come to us a second or third time, if you have more experience.
Die Anmeldung zur Zulassungsprüfung erfolgt online über das Anmeldeportal für Studienbewerber*innen.
- Online-Anmeldung im Anmeldezeitraum: 24.07.-14.11.2023
- nach Ende der Anmeldefrist: Einladung zur 1. Runde per E-Mail
- Teilnahme an den Prüfungsrunden nach jeweiliger Einladung (Infos siehe Ablauf des Verfahrens)
- bei bestandener Zulassungsprüfung: Einladung zur Einschreibung zum Studium
- Einschreibung während der allgemeinen Zulassungsfrist
- Studienbeginn: 1. März 2024
Termine für die Prüfungsrunden 2023/2024
1. und 2. Runde (alle Bewerber*innen werden jeweils einem der 9 möglichen Temine zugeteilt)
- 14. und 15.12.2023
- 18. und 19.12.2023
- 25., 26., 27., 28. und 29.01.2024
3. Runde (alle Bewerber*innen, die die 3. Runde erreicht haben, werden jeweils einem der beiden Termine zugeteilt)
The approval process consists of four rounds. This is a multi-stage process - passing the previous round is required to advance to the next round. After the registration period has expired, you will be informed of a date for the first round as soon as possible.
The following roles must be rehearsed for the first round of the entrance examination:
- One role is to be chosen independently from the choice of scenes. The role can and should be chosen independently of your gender.
- Three monologues: Two of these texts should come from a play (classic or modern), the third should be your own work.
- In addition, please prepare a theater song or a song (without musical accompaniment).
During Round 1 you are expected to audition for two of your roles. The Commission may work with you or even listen to the song.
The 2nd round always takes place on the same date as the 1st round. If you come to the 2nd round in the evening and then convince us with your performance again, you will be notified on the same day and will soon receive the invitation and your date for the 3rd round in written form.
For the 3rd round of the entrance examination, the applicants will receive additional job offers in the field of improvisation in addition to re-acting the roles they have worked on. The evening after the exam, you will be informed whether you have reached the final round (4th round), which will take place in February
On this last day, we work in depth and improvisation in a variety of ways.
- Read through all the information about the procedure in advance so that you can prepare as well as possible and do not miss any deadlines.
- When choosing your monologue roles, you should choose characters that you are particularly interested in, even if they don't resemble your personal character or match your gender.
- When interpreting these characters, you should avoid acting from models (in the manner of imitating great theater actors, for example), but try to play the role with your own personal expression.
- Prepare yourself for an interview with the jury and comment on your motivation and your interest in studying at the Mozarteum University.