Univ.-Prof. for Music Theory
The two-semester postgraduate university course in music theory serves to perfect musical and interpretative skills to the highest level of artistic maturity. Interested students can deepen their artistic knowledge and skills already acquired in the ordinary studies and are given the opportunity to perform in the university's own concerts.
Department of Composition & Music Theory
+43 676 88122 356
Study & Examination Management
+43 676 88122 492
2 semesters / 20 ECTS-AP
from February each year
to the dates
summer semester each year
to the dates
Admission to a Postgraduate University Course (PGL) requires the closure of a subject-related Master's degree or diploma programme at a recognised Austrian or foreign post-secondary educational institution in the respective central artistic subject. Admission with a pedagogical degree such as teaching degree or instrumental & vocal pedagogy is NOT possible.
A prerequisite for admission to a university course is also the successful completion of the admission examination. For this, an online application is required first, during which the necessary documents are checked. Only after the completely submitted documents have been checked will an invitation to the admission examination be issued.
ATTENTION: The examination of the documents of the preliminary studies can take up to 4 weeks! Early registration is therefore recommended.
Necessary documents for online registration
- BA transcript and MA transcript or final transcript of an equivalent degree programme, if the degree programme has already been completed
- Current confirmation of enrolment if the degree programme has not yet been completed (the certificate must be submitted by the time of enrolment!)
- overview of subjects and grades of the BA and MA degree programmes (Transcript of Records)
- Official confirmation of the main subject/instrument, if this is not evident from the other documents (e.g. "Bachelor of Music" is not sufficient!)
Form of the documents
- The documents can be uploaded as PDF files in the application form.
- If the documents mentioned are not available in German or English, an official translation must be submitted.
- An application portfolio (see Admission Examination) must be submitted as a PDF file via the upload link after the invitation has been issued.
The Admission Examination
If you have received an invitation to the entrance examination on the basis of your submitted documents, you will have to take an oral examination to determine your artistic aptitude.
This consists of two parts:
- Proof of creative abilities by submitting a portfolio and questions about the portfolio.
- The portfolio must be submitted to the ACOnet Filesender at least three weeks before the examination. You will receive an upload link for this from the relevant department secretariat as part of the invitation to the entrance examination.
- It must contain a selection of 8 representative works (stylistic works, analyses, original compositions, teaching concepts for one lesson each of composition / aural training / analysis, independent essays / academic articles / publications including a bibliography in German or English, also in electronic form). A coherent PDF document is to be created and uploaded as soon as applicants receive the invitation or the upload link.
- A work selected by the student from the portfolio will be presented and discussed.
- Presentation of a scientific article or a teaching concept or a stylistic work (sound example and explanation) from the portfolio.
- If required, an interview with the examination board on motivation, background, previous studies, expectations or career perspectives can take place.
Dates & timetable
The dates of the entrance examination as well as important deadlines can be found in the current schedule.
- Examination registration during the application period online via the registration portal for university applicants
(ATTENTION: Registration is only possible if all documents are complete!)
- if the application video is positive: Invitation to the on-site admission test
- Participation in the on-site admission test in May/June
- if you pass the admission test: invitation to enrol in the course
- Enrolment during the general admission period
Different examination method
Please note that the University Mozarteum Salzburg offers various support options for the admission examination and during your studies if you have a disability or a chronic illness.
If this applies to you and you would like to take advantage of counselling, please contact Claudia Haitzmann: firstname.lastname@example.org oder +43 676 88122 337.
A course fee and the ÖH fee must be paid per semester for participation in the university course.
Information on the current level of fees can be found HERE.
The course basically includes 2 semester hours per week of tuition in the central artistic subject. In addition, electives and free electives can be taken. Performance opportunities at university concerts and events both inside and outside Salzburg are part of the course.
The duration of the course is 2 semesters. With the approval of the teacher in the central artistic subject and the vice rector for teaching, it is possible to extend the course by one or two semesters.
The final examination consists of the positive completion of the courses from the Central Artistic Subject. A final certificate can be issued on request.
Here you can find more information about starting your studies: