Univ. Prof. for Flute
The postgraduate university course serves to deepen the artistic knowledge and skills acquired in the ordinary studies and to perfect musical and instrumental technical skills. Performance opportunities at university concerts and events are offered, electives and free electives can be optionally taken for further specialization as required and offered.
Department for Brass, Wind & Percussion Studies
+43 676 88122 455
Study & Examination Management
+43 676 88122 492
2 semesters / 20 ECTS-AP
from February each year
to the dates
summer semester each year
to the dates
Admission to a postgraduate university course (PGL) requires the closure of a subject-related master's or diploma program at a recognized Austrian or foreign postsecondary educational institution in the respective central artistic subject. Admission with a pedagogical degree such as teaching or instrumental & vocal pedagogy is NOT possible.
A prerequisite for admission to a university course is also the successful completion of the admission examination. For this, an online registration is required first, during which the necessary documents are checked. Only after examination of the completely submitted documents and positive evaluation of the application video an invitation to the admission examination takes place.
ATTENTION: The examination of the documents of the preliminary studies can take up to 4 weeks! Early registration is therefore recommended.
Required documents for online registration
- BA certificate and MA certificate or final certificate of an equivalent degree programme if the degree programme has already been completed.
- Current confirmation of enrolment, if the degree programme has not yet been completed (the certificate must be submitted by the time of enrolment!)
- overview of subjects and grades of the BA and MA degree programmes (Transcript of Records)
- Official confirmation of the main subject/instrument, if this is not evident from the other documents (e.g. "Bachelor of Music" is not sufficient!)
- Application video
Form of the documents
- The documents can be uploaded as PDF in the application form, the video will be entered as a link.
- If the documents mentioned are not available in German or English, an official translation must be submitted.
On the basis of the videos sent in, a pre-selection will be made by the examination committee. The following excerpt from the examination programme PGL Flute has to be uploaded on a video platform of your choice:
- Compulsory piece: first and second movement of one of the two Mozart concertos in G major KV 313 or KV 314 with cadenzas (at least in an audition version, i.e. exposition of the two movements)
- at least two works from other stylistic periods of own choice
The length of the recording should be approx. 30 minutes.
Important information about the video upload can be found HERE, as well as the data protection information. The guidelines mentioned there are to be observed urgently!
The entrance examination
If you have received an invitation to the entrance examination on the basis of your application video, you will have to perform an instrumental audition on site to determine your artistic aptitude.
The programme submitted must contain representative pieces from several styles or epochs for the respective instrument, taking into account the technical and stylistic diversity. The following works are to be prepared:
- a Mozart concerto (G or D major) is to be prepared from memory
- a Bach sonata or work of similar difficulty (e.g. Leclair, Couperin)
- a romantic virtuoso work (e.g. Taffanel, Böhm) or a work from the French impressionism or expressionism (e.g. Sancan Sonatine, Dutilleux Sonatine, Gaubert Sonata)
- a contemporary work (e.g. Jolivet - Incantations, Holliger - Taire, Takemitsu - Voice)
Dates & time schedule
The dates of the entrance examination as well as important deadlines can be found in the current schedule.
- Examination registration during the application period online via the registration portal for university applicants
(ATTENTION: Registration only possible if documents are complete, including video!)
- If the application video is positive: Invitation to the on-site entrance examination
- Participation in the on-site admission test in May/June
- if you pass the admission test: invitation to enrol for the degree programme
- Enrolment during the general admission period
Different examination method
Please note that the University Mozarteum Salzburg offers various support options for the admission examination and during your studies if you have a disability or a chronic illness.
If this applies to you and you would like to take advantage of counselling, please contact Claudia Haitzmann: email@example.com oder +43 676 88122 337.
A course fee and the ÖH fee must be paid per semester for participation in the university course.
Information on the current level of fees can be found HERE.
The course basically includes 2 semester hours per week of tuition in the central artistic subject. In addition, electives and free electives can be taken. Performance opportunities at university concerts and events both inside and outside Salzburg are part of the course.
The duration of the course is 2 semesters. With the approval of the teacher in the central artistic subject and the vice rector for teaching, it is possible to extend the course by one or two semesters.
The final examination consists of the positive completion of the courses from the Central Artistic Subject. A final certificate can be issued on request.
Here you can find more information about starting your studies: