Univ.-Prof. for Horn
The course serves to deepen the artistic knowledge and skills acquired in the ordinary studies and to perfect musical and instrumental skills. Performance opportunities at university concerts and events both inside and outside Salzburg are part of the course.
summer semester each year
to the dates
The course includes 2 academic hours per week of instruction in the principal study. In addition, electives and free electives can be taken. Performance opportunities at university concerts and events in Salzburg and further afield are part of the course.
The duration of the course is 2 semesters. With the approval of the principal study teacher and the Director of Studies, it is possible to extend the course by one or two semesters.
Successful completion of the course is based upon passing grades in classes relating to the principal study. A certificate of completion can be issued upon request.
The curriculum provides an overview of the courses offered. In addition to the lessons in the main subject, (free) elective subjects can be taken. These are listed in the semester plan under “no semester recommended”.
Admission to a postgraduate university course (PGL) requires the successful completion of a subject-related master's degree or diploma at a recognised Austrian or foreign post-secondary educational institution in the respective principal study. Admission with a teaching degree, such as music education or instrumental & vocal pedagogy, is NOT possible.
A prerequisite for starting the course is also passing an audition. Auditions take place once a year. All information about the audition can be found under “Information on the Admissions Process” further down on the page.
Information on the admission process
Admission to a postgraduate university course (PGL) requires the successful completion of a subject-related master's or diploma degree at a recognised Austrian or foreign post-secondary educational institution in the respective principal study. Admission with a teaching degree, such as music education or instrumental & vocal pedagogy, is NOT possible.
A prerequisite for admission to this university course is also the successful completion of an audition. Registration for an audition is completed online and requires candidates to upload documents proving their eligibility for the course, as well as an application video. An invitation to audition will only be issued after the necessary documents have been submitted in full and approved by the admissions office.
PLEASE NOTE: Document checks can take up to 4 weeks! Early registration is therefore recommended.
The audition panel will make a selection based on the application videos submitted. The selected applicants will be invited to an on-site audition.
The following documents must be uploaded in the online application form:
- BA certificate and MA certificate or final certificate of an equivalent degree programme, if the degree programme has already been completed.
- Confirmation of current enrolment in a Master's programme, if the study programme has not yet been completed (the transcript must be submitted prior to enrolment!)
- Overview of subjects and grades from your BA and MA degree programmes (Transcript of Records)
- Official confirmation of the principal study, if this is not evident from the other documents (e.g. "Bachelor of Music" is not sufficient!)
- Application video
Format of documents
- The documents can be uploaded as PDF in the application form; the video should be entered as a link.
- If the documents are not available in German or English, an official translation must be submitted.
Please note: If you pass the audition and are offered a university place, the documents must meet the certification requirements by the time of your enrolment at the latest.
Registration takes place via the application portal [Link], where you must first create an application account. Please note that the automatic email to activate the account can often be found in the spam folder, so please be sure to check there if you think you have not received it. If you still have problems activating your account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure that you can be reached at the email address entered in your profile throughout the entire application process. If there are any changes, please update your profile yourself.
Based on the videos sent in, a pre-selection will be made by the examination board.
Works of the candidate's own choice from the PGL Horn examination programme (see admission examination programme) are to be uploaded on a video platform of the candidate's choice.
The length of the recording should be 12-15 minutes.
Important information on video uploads can be found HERE, as well as the data protection information. The guidelines mentioned there are to be observed urgently!
The programme submitted must contain representative pieces from several styles or epochs for the respective instrument, taking into account the technical and stylistic diversity.
Three works from different style epochs in the following degree of difficulty are to be prepared:
- Telemann - Concerto in D major, J. Haydn - Concerto No. 1, Förster - one of the concertos in E-flat major, Mozart - Horn Concertos KV 447 and 495, Horn Quintet KV 407, R. Strauss - Horn Concerto No. 1 and No. 2, Schumann - Adagio and Allegro, Weber - Concertino Op. 45, Brahms - Trio for Horn, Violin and Piano, Arnold - Horn solo Op. 88, Berge - Horn Call, Pirchner - Field, Forest and Meadow Solos, Paur - Concerto, Bozza - En foret, Francaix - Divertimento
- Online registration for an audition during the application period via the registration portal for applicants
(PLEASE NOTE: Registration is only possible after submission of all required documents, including video!)
- If the application video is positively assessed: invitation to an on-site audition
- Participation in the on-site audition in May/June
- In case of a successful audition: invitation to enrol in the degree programme
- Enrolment during the general admission period
Please note that the Mozarteum University Salzburg offers various support options at the time of your audition and during your studies if you have a disability or a chronic illness.
If this applies to you and you would like to take advantage of counselling, please contact Claudia Haitzmann: email@example.com oder +43 676 88122 337.