Open Science stands for the opening of research processes and access to research data and publications both for scientists and for the interested public. In this context, the dissemination, duplication and reuse of research results/publications and the data and methods on which they are based are made possible - at best even during the research process. The aim is also quality assurance in research.
Open Science - Open Access
The University Mozarteum makes its support of the principles of Open Science visible by signing the Berlin Declaration and publishing an Open Access Policy. The library provides the necessary infrastructure and the following services:
- Open Access Publishing in the institutional repository
- Open Access Publication Fund
- DOI (Digital Object Identifier) Allocation
- ORCID ID
- Avoidance of Predatory Publishing
- Training / Information Events
- Publication of Open Access Journals via OJS OER Research Data
The Mozarteum University recommends that all publishers secure the exploitation rights, reproduction rights and the right to make the work available online in the repository in their contracts with publishers.
Some publishers generally allow free publication in the institute's own repository after a certain embargo period. We welcome information about this and will gladly take care of the further steps.
Submission for publication in the repository is done through the following forms:
- Essay in a journal
- Essay in an anthology
Note: Please ensure that the rights are respected and upload the work in PDF/A format.
- Convert the publication to PDF/A format compliant with archiving standards.
- Select form.
- Take note of the privacy information.
- Fill in the information about yourself and your publication.
- Specify the license. This determines the extent to which the scientific work can be accessed.
- Confirm the declaration of consent. This grants the Mozarteum University Library the non-exclusive right to publish and archive the work according to the specified criteria. In addition, it is confirmed that the author has complied with the copyright requirements and regulations.
There is no automatic release of the uploaded publication. The document is therefore only visible on the Internet after release by the Mozarteum University Library and can be used for academic and private purposes in compliance with the legal framework. In the case of a second publication, the document will only be published in the repository after any embargo periods have expired. The work should nevertheless be submitted immediately by the publisher.
To ensure citability, works will be given a permanent link address . Documents are archived according to the current state of the art and, if necessary, converted to ensure readability. Metadata will be shared with other relevant repositories and search services.
The uploading and making available of documents on the publication server are copyright-relevant acts of use according to §§ 15 and 18a UrhG.
Works may only be uploaded to the platform by sole rights holders - if this is not the case, works may only be uploaded with the explicit written consent of other rights holders (in particular: co-authors, publishers, third-party funding bodies). In particular, no publisher or other third party may be granted exclusive exploitation rights to the work.
By uploading, the user confirms that he/she has clarified the copyright permissibility of the work and each of its components (e.g. images) and that he/she is authorized to do so. Uploading also confirms that no rights of third parties are infringed and that the University Mozarteum is indemnified and held harmless.
(Status: February 2020)
Name and contact details of the responsible persons:
Mozarteum University Salzburg
+43 676 88122 523
Name and contact details of the external data protection officer:
Collection and processing of your personal data/purposes
The University Mozarteum processes your following (personal) data when you apply for or receive funding for an open access publication:
Application data: Possible: Published data:
E-mail First name, last name Role in publication (e.g. Corresponding Author) Title of publication Publisher, title of journal Information on other funding Information on the license used Persistent identifier (if already available, for example DOI or URN) Total cost of publication in original currency Gross First name, last name Role in publication (e.g.Title of the publication Publisher, title of the journal Publication location
Information on the license used
If the applicant fulfills the funding requirement and funding is still available from the Publication Fund, the data listed in section 1 will be processed in order to apply for funding. 1 in order to fulfill the funding contract and to ensure optimal access to data and research material (Art. 6 para. 1 lit b DSGVO and Art. 6 para. 1 lit e DSGVO in conjunction with § 2f FOG and §§ 2, 3 UG). Please note that the fulfillment of these purposes is only possible through the personal data provided in the course of the application.
The University Mozarteum manages the open access repository it operates with special care. The data published in the repository (first name, last name, role in the publication, title of the publication, publisher, title of the journal, place of publication, date of publication, license information, abstract) are accessible worldwide, can be found using search engines, and may be linked to other information. In particular, copying and redistribution of published content cannot be excluded. The University Mozarteum has no influence on this and therefore assumes no liability. The University Mozarteum passes on any data published in the repository to third institutions in the context of education and research (in particular Open Archives initiatives). Application data will not be passed on to third parties, with the exception of those cases in which the University is obliged to do so by law, or by internal university regulations.
The publication is stored in the institutional repository of the Mozarteum University and archived permanently according to the technical possibilities, whereby the University has the right but no obligation to make the publication available.
Data subject rights
Based on the DSG as well as the DSGVO, every person has the right to information according to Art. 15 DSGVO, the right to correction according to Art. 16 DSGVO, the right to deletion according to Art. 17 DSGVO, the right to restriction of processing according to Art. 18 DSGVO as well as the right to data portability according to Art. 20 DSGVO and the right to object according to Art. 21 DSGVO. If necessary, these data subject rights are to be asserted at the Mozarteum University (controller pursuant to Art. 4 Z 7 DSGVO), Mirabellplatz 1, 5020 Salzburg, email@example.com.
Open Access Publication Fund
The University Mozarteum Salzburg pays the publication fees for its members for open access publications, provided that the stated eligibility criteria are met and publication in the institutional repository is approved. The library's Open Access Team is available for initial non-binding inquiries.
- Journal articles in open access journals
- Journal articles in hybrid journals*
- Open access monographs
- Entire edited works, edited volumes and conference proceedings, provided that the corresponding author is located at the Mozarteum, but not individual contributions.
* A subscriber journal, whose articles are usually only accessible after payment of a subscription fee, allows the author to buy free access to his/her own article, so that this article appears freely accessible. This means that only some articles in a journal are open access, but not the entire journal. Closed and open access articles are offered side by side in a journal. The journal functions as a hybrid journal, in contrast to the open access journal, which offers all articles freely accessible.
- All research members (= artistic and scientific staff, students) are eligible to apply.
- The applicant must be the first author (corresponding author) and acts as contact person for the publisher.
- In the publication or on the website of the journal, the organizational affiliation "Universität Mozarteum Salzburg" or "Mozarteum University Salzburg" will be noted.
Supported forms of publication
- Journal articles in open access journals
- Journal articles in hybrid journals
(A subscriber journal, whose articles are usually only accessible after payment of a subscription fee, allows the author to buy free access to his/her own article, so that this article appears freely accessible. Thus, only some articles of a journal are open access, but not the entire journal. Closed and open access articles are offered side by side in a journal. The journal functions as a hybrid journal, as opposed to an open access journal, which offers all articles open access)
- Open Access Monographs
- Entire edited works, edited volumes and conference proceedings provided that the Corresponding Author is located at the University Mozarteum, but not individual contributions from them.
- Those publishers that are on the publisher list we have compiled (see below) will be accepted immediately.
- If an article is published by another publisher that is not on the list, we will check whether it is a reputable and recognized publisher and whether the risk of predatory journal publishing can be excluded.
- For OA journal articles the maximum funding amount is: Euro 2.000,- incl. VAT. This must include all submission fees, color and page charges.
- For OA monographs, the maximum funding amount is: Euro 5.000,- incl. VAT.
- Cost splitting is not possible; only total APCs (Article Processing Charges) and BPCs (Book Processing Charges) will be covered.
- The first-come, first-served principle applies: applications are processed in the order in which they are submitted.
- There is no legal entitlement to funding. Once the allocated funding from the Publication Fund has been exhausted, funding is no longer possible.
- After reviewing the application, we will inform the submitters immediately by mail whether the publication can be funded or not.
Application Timing and Application Form
- The application should be submitted at the time of the publisher's acceptance via the Open Access Application Form.
- Funding is only available for new submissions. Refunds of previously paid invoices are not possible.
- Submission of first manuscript pages is highly appreciated as an additional and confirmatory source of information.
Acknowledgement and publication in the repository
- The following acknowledgement is to be placed in the funded work next to a logo of the Mozarteum University Salzburg: "Funded by the Mozarteum University Salzburg".
- The work will also be published in the Mozarteum repository. The publisher must grant the submitter this right in the contract (see contract addendum). In addition, submitters must give their consent to this in the application form.
- The grant is paid out in the form of a direct payment from the OA Publication Fund to the publisher.
- The publisher sends the invoice directly to the Open Access Team. (If the publisher can only send the invoice directly to the author, please send this invoice to the Open Access Team of the Mozarteum University so that we can pay it. Do not pay the invoice independently)
- The invoice must be addressed to the University Mozarteum Salzburg Mirabellplatz 1 5020 Salzburg.
- The invoice should contain the following information, among others:
- Publisher name and contact person
- Name of journal
- Title of publication
- Name of Corresponding Author(s)
- Once we have forwarded the invoice to the Department of Finance and Accounting/Controlling, submitters will receive notification.
- Allitera Verlag
- Brill Verlag/Fink-Verlag
- De Gruyter
- Hollitzer (Buch) mit Mille Tre und Tonkunst
- Königshausen & Neumann
- Laaber (nur bei Zeitschriftenartikel, nicht bei Büchern)
- LIT Verlag
- Metzler (Springer)
- Peter Lang
- Praesens Verlag
- Pustet (Anton)
- Text + Kritik
- Transcript Verlag
- Universitätsverlag Wien / Vienna University Press gemeinsam mit dem V&R unipress, gehört zu Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht wie Böhlau.
- Universitätsverlag Winter
- University Press Innsbruck
- Verlag der Akademie der Wissenschaften
- Verlag Theater der Zeit
- Wißner (Forum Musikpädagogik)
Open Access Zeitschriften /DOAJ gelistet:
- Action, criticism, & theory for music education – ACT
- Approaches music therapy & special music education = mousikotherapeia & eidikē mousikē paidagógiké (Englisch-Griechisch)
- Diagonal Journal of the Center for Iberian and Latin American Music
- EURASIP journal on audio, speech, and music processing
- Journal of creative music systems (JCMS)
- Music and arts in action
- Music and Science
- Music theory online MTO : a publication of the Society for Music Theory
- Musica, tecnologia
- Revista electrónica de LEEME (spanisch)
- Transactions of the International Society for Music Information Retrieval
- Voices a world forum for music therapy
The request is submitted via the library's Open Access Application Form by mail. Before sending the application, please read the Copyright Consent for Funding Open Access Publications.
Provided the eligibility criteria (see above) are met and funding is still available, applicants will receive notification from us within three business days.
Status: February 2020
- I certify that I am the owner of all rights to this publication (including the abstract). In particular, all copyright issues in connection with the above-mentioned publication (incl. abstract) and its provision and publication on the Internet have been demonstrably clarified by me in advance.
- I hereby grant the University Mozarteum Salzburg the irrevocable and non-exclusive right to publish these data and file(s) online in the university's repository and to reproduce them for this purpose, to pass them on to third institutions for publication and archiving purposes (e.g. Open Archives Initiative) and, if necessary, to convert them into other display formats in order to maintain accessibility.
- I assure the University Mozarteum Salzburg that the documents and materials to be published or parts thereof (e.g. images) as well as abstracts do not violate any rights of third parties (e.g. co-authors, third-party funders, publishers).
- As far as excerpts and/or adaptations of other works have found their way into my work, this has been done within the framework and on the basis of free use of the work. If a free use of the work was not relevant, the consent of the respective rights holder for the use of the foreign work or part of the work, in particular the right of reproduction, right to make available and the right of editing, was obtained.
- I undertake to fully indemnify and hold harmless the University Mozarteum Salzburg in the event that third parties assert claims for infringement against the University Mozarteum Salzburg with regard to the above-mentioned publication (incl. abstract), in particular with regard to the granting of rights made here and/or the publication, and to inform the University Mozarteum Salzburg thereof without delay. The indemnification against liability regulated herein shall also cover the judicial and extrajudicial costs for legal defense.
- Austrian law shall apply to the exclusion of the UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods and conflict-of-law rules. For all proceedings in connection with this declaration and any disputes arising therefrom, the exclusive jurisdiction of the relevant court in the city of Salzburg is agreed.
- In the event of any discrepancies between the German and English language versions of this document, only the German language version shall be binding.